Journal cover Journal topic
Fossil Record A palaeontological open-access journal of the Museum für Naturkunde
Journal topic

Journal metrics

Journal metrics

  • IF value: 1.345 IF 1.345
  • IF 5-year value: 1.351 IF 5-year
    1.351
  • CiteScore value: 1.3 CiteScore
    1.3
  • SNIP value: 0.702 SNIP 0.702
  • SJR value: 0.442 SJR 0.442
  • Scimago H <br class='hide-on-tablet hide-on-mobile'>index value: 17 Scimago H
    index 17
Volume 4, issue 1
Foss. Rec., 4, 3–27, 2001
https://doi.org/10.1002/mmng.20010040102
© Author(s) 2001. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
Foss. Rec., 4, 3–27, 2001
https://doi.org/10.1002/mmng.20010040102
© Author(s) 2001. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

  01 Jan 2001

01 Jan 2001

Zur Geschichte der Geowissenschaften im Museum für Naturkunde zu Berlin Teil 4: Das Mineralogische Museum der Universität Berlin unter Christian Samuel Weiss von 1810 bis 1856

G. Hoppe G. Hoppe
  • Museum für Naturkunde. Institut für Mineralogie, Invalidenstr. 43, 10115 Berlin, Germany

Abstract. Die Universitätsgründung in Berlin von 1810 war verbunden mit der Übernahme des Lehrbetriebes der aufgelösten Bergakademie, die nur noch in Form des Bergeleveninstituts bzw. Bergelevenklasse für die Finanzierung der Ausbildung der Bergeleven weiter bestand, sowie mit der Übernahme des von der Bergakademie genutzten Königlichen Mineralienkabinetts der preußischen Bergverwaltung als Mineralogisches Museum der Universität. Infolge des Todes von D. L. G. Karsten im Jahre 1810 erhielt der Leipziger Physiker und Mineraloge C. S. Weiss den Lehrstuhl für Mineralogie, den er bis zu seinem Tode 1856 innehatte. Weiss entwickelte die Lehre Werners, die die Mineralogie einschließlich Geologie umfasste, in kristallographischer Hinsicht weiter, während sich später neben ihm zwei seiner Schüler anderen Teilgebieten der Mineralogie annahmen, G. Rose der speziellen Mineralogie und E. Beyrich der geologischen Paläontologie. Der Ausbau der Sammlungen durch eigene Aufsammlungen, Schenkungen und Käufe konnte in starkem Maße fortgesetzt werden, auch zunehmend in paläontologischer Hinsicht, sodass das Mineralogische Museum für das ganze Spektrum der Lehre gut bestückt war. Der streitbare Charakter von Weiss verursachte zahlreiche Reibungspunkte.

History of the Geoscience Institutes of the Natural History Museum in Berlin. Part 4

The establishment of the University in Berlin in 1810 resulted in the adoption of the teaching of the dissolved Bergakademie and of the royal Mineralienkabinett of the Prussian mining department, which was used by the Bergakademie before it became the Mineralogical Museum of the University. The Bergakademie continued to exist only as Bergeleveninstitut or Bergelevenklasse for financing the education of the mining students. The physicist and mineralogist C. S. Weiss was offered the chair of mineralogy after the death of D. L. G. Karsten 1810; he had the position to his death in 1856. Weiss developped the crystallographic part of the science of Werner which included mineralogy and geology. Two of his pupils progressed two other parts of mineralogy, G. Rose the speciel mineralogy and E. Beyrich the geological paleontology. The enlargement of the collections continued on large scale by own collecting, donations and purchases, also more paleontological objects, so that the Mineralogical Museum presented a good collection of the whole spectrum of the field. The pugnacious nature of Weiss resulted in many points of friction.

doi:10.1002/mmng.20010040102

Publications Copernicus
Download
Citation