Journal cover Journal topic
Fossil Record A palaeontological open-access journal of the Museum für Naturkunde
Journal topic

Journal metrics

Journal metrics

  • IF value: 0.783 IF 0.783
  • IF 5-year value: 1.000 IF 5-year
    1.000
  • CiteScore value: 0.86 CiteScore
    0.86
  • SNIP value: 0.543 SNIP 0.543
  • SJR value: 0.382 SJR 0.382
  • IPP value: 0.72 IPP 0.72
  • Scimago H <br class='hide-on-tablet hide-on-mobile'>index value: 12 Scimago H
    index 12
Volume 6, issue 1
Foss. Rec., 6, 3-51, 2003
https://doi.org/10.1002/mmng.20030060102
© Author(s) 2003. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
Foss. Rec., 6, 3-51, 2003
https://doi.org/10.1002/mmng.20030060102
© Author(s) 2003. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

  01 Jan 2003

01 Jan 2003

Zur Geschichte der Geowissenschaften im Museum für Naturkunde zu Berlin. Teil 5: Vom Mineralogischen Museum im Hauptgebäude der Universität zu den zwei geowissenschaftlichen Institutionen im Museum für Naturkunde – 1856 bis 1910

G. Hoppe G. Hoppe
  • Museum für Naturkunde, Institut für Mineralogie, Invalidenstr. 43, 10115 Berlin, Germany

Abstract. Im vorhergehenden 4. Teil der Artikelserie wurde die Zeit behandelt, in der das Gesamtgebiet der Geowissenschaften von dem Mineralogen und Kristallographen Christian Samuel Weiss im Mineralogischen Museum vertreten wurde und in der sich die Spezialisierung in Teilgebiete durch auftretende weitere Lehrkräfte zeigte. Nach dem Tod von Weiss im Jahre 1856 wirkte sich diese Entwicklung auch auf die Leitung des Mineralogischen Museums aus und führte schließlich zur Teilung in zwei Institutionen. Der vorliegende Artikel, der bis zum 100jährigen Jubiläum der Universität im Jahre 1910 reicht, behandelt dies in folgenden Kapiteln: 1) das Mineralogische Museum unter dem Mineralogen Gustav Rose als Direktor und dem Geologen und Paläontologen Ernst Beyrich in der Zeit von 1856 bis 1873, 2) das Mineralogische Museum unter Ernst Beyrich als Direktor, dem Mineralogen Martin Websky und dem Geologen und Petrographen Justus Roth in den Jahren von 1873 bis 1888 nebst Aufteilung in zwei Institutionen, 3) die Projektierung und den Bau des Museums für Naturkunde in den Jahren von 1873 bis 1889, 4) die beiden geowissenschaftlichen Institutionen in den Jahren 1888 bis 1910, 4a) das Geologisch-Paläontologische Institut und Museum unter den Geologen und Paläontologen Ernst Beyrich, Wilhelm Dames und Wilhelm Branco (Branca) nacheinander als Direktoren und 4b) das Mineralogisch-Petrographische Institut und Museum unter dem Mineralogen und Petrographen Carl Klein und danach dem Mineralogen und Kristallographen Theodor Liebisch als Direktoren.

The preceding fourth part of this series of articles dealt with the period (of time), when the whole field of earth sciences in the Mineralogical Museum was represented by one person, the mineralogist and crystallographer Christian Samuel Weiss. At that time the specialisation of earth sciences into different fields was already becoming evident from the practices of other academic teachers. After Weiss died in 1856, this process influenced the direction of the Museum of Mineralogy in such a way that it was divided into two institutions. This article covers the interval up to the Humboldt University's 100th anniversary in 1910. It is structured as follows: 1) The Mineralogical Museum under the directorship of the mineralogist Gustav Rose and the palaeontologist Ernst Beyrich from 1856 until 1873; 2) the Mineralogical Museum under the directorship of Ernst Beyrich, the mineralogist Martin Websky and the geologist and petrographer Justus Roth from 1873 to 1889, and its division into two institutions; 3) the planning and construction of the Museum für Naturkunde from 1873 to 1889; 4) the two geoscientific institutions from 1888 to 1910; 4a) the Geological-Palaeontological Institute and Museum under the successive directorships of the geologists and palaeontologists Ernst Beyrich, Wilhelm Beyrich, E. Dames and Wilhelm Branco (Branca); 4b) the Mineralogical-Petrographical Institute under the directorship of the mineralogist and petrographer Carl Klein and afterwards under the directorship of the mineralogist and petrographer Theodor Liebisch.

doi:10.1002/mmng.20030060102

Publications Copernicus
Download
Citation
Share