Journal cover Journal topic
Fossil Record A palaeontological open-access journal of the Museum für Naturkunde
Journal topic

Journal metrics

Journal metrics

  • IF value: 1.345 IF 1.345
  • IF 5-year value: 1.351 IF 5-year
    1.351
  • CiteScore value: 1.3 CiteScore
    1.3
  • SNIP value: 0.702 SNIP 0.702
  • SJR value: 0.442 SJR 0.442
  • Scimago H <br class='hide-on-tablet hide-on-mobile'>index value: 17 Scimago H
    index 17
Volume 7, issue 1
Foss. Rec., 7, 5-43, 2004
https://doi.org/10.1002/mmng.20040070103
© Author(s) 2004. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
Foss. Rec., 7, 5-43, 2004
https://doi.org/10.1002/mmng.20040070103
© Author(s) 2004. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

  01 Jan 2004

01 Jan 2004

Zur Geschichte der Geowissenschaften im Museum für Naturkunde zu Berlin. Teil 6: Geschichte des Geologisch-Paläontologischen Instituts und Museums der Universität Berlin 1910–2004

W. Gross1 and H.-P. Schultze2 W. Gross and H.-P. Schultze
  • 1Museum für Naturkunde, Institut für Paläontologie, Invalidenstr. 43, 10115 Berlin, Germany
  • 2privat: 2001 Vermont Street, Lawrence, Kansas 66046, USA

Abstract. Die Entwicklung des Geologisch-Paläontologischen Instituts und Museums der Universität Berlin von einer Institution, die Geologie zusammen mit Paläontologie als eine Einheit vertrat, über eine Institution, die eine geotektonische Ausrichtung hatte, zu einer auf Paläontologie konzentrierten Institution wird nachvollzogen. Die beiden Institutsdirektoren am Anfang des 20sten Jahrhunderts waren Vertreter der allumfassenden Geologie des 19ten Jahrhunderts, während die beiden folgenden Direktoren eine Geologie ohne Paläontologie vertraten. Das führte zu einer Trennung der beiden Richtungen, und nach der III. Hochschulreform der DDR 1968 verblieb allein die sammlungsbezogene Paläontologie am Museum. Nach der Wiedervereinigung wurde ein Institut für Paläontologie mit biologischer Ausrichtung mit zwei Professuren, einer für Paläozoologie und einer für Paläobotanik, eingerichtet.

The development of the Geologisch-Paläontologisches Institut und Museum of the Museum für Naturkunde at the Humboldt University (formerly Friedrich-Wilhelm-Universität) in Berlin from a geology-paleontology institution to a pure paleontology institution is described. The first two directors of the department in the beginning of the 20th century, Prof, von Branca and Prof. Pompeckj, represented a 19th century concept of a geology, which included paleontology, even vertebrate paleontology as the crown jewel of geology. They fought sometimes vigorously against a separation of paleontology from geology. The next two directors. Prof. Stille and Prof, von Bubnoff, were the leading geologists in Germany; to be a student of Stille was a special trade mark in geology of Germany. They represented a geology centered on tectonics. The separation of paleontology as separate section was prepared. The destructions of the Second World War, the following restaurations and the division of Germany into two States influenced strongly their directorships. The education of geologists at the Museum für Naturkunde ended with the III. University Reform of the German Democratic Republik in 1968. Paleontology was represented by the international renown vertebrate paleontologist, Prof. Dr. W. Gross, up to 1961. Since 1969, paleobotany was strengthened by the inclusion of the paleobotany unit of the Akademie der Wissenschaften into the museum. After reunification of Germany n 1990, the department was rebuild as a Institut für Palaontologie with close connection to biology, a unique situation in Germany. Two professorships, one for paleozoology, Prof. Schultze. and one for paleobotany, Prof. Mai, were established. The number of curators increased to ten from one under the first director of the 20th century.

doi:10.1002/mmng.20040070103

Publications Copernicus
Download
Citation
Share